POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : To Mike Williams: is a four-hole SweepMesh.inc possible? : Re: To Mike Williams: is a four-hole SweepMesh.inc possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To Mike Williams: is a four-hole SweepMesh.inc possible?
From: gregjohn
Date: 25 Sep 2010 07:50:00
Message: <web.4c9de1639b1fb69134d207310@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> in news:web.4c9b7b273beb987730bf98980@news.povray.org gregjohn wrote:
>
> > Is this doable? Any tips on how to approach it?  (Or John vanSickle,
> > do you have any insights from your modeller that would make for an
> > easy in-povray way to design this?)
>
> Greg, I think it may be doable with one of the macro's in my mesh
> generation package http://code.google.com/p/mmgm/ or Tor-Olavs NURBS
> macro's. All depends on how you brake down the trousers in a few basic
> shapes that can be defined by four splines that you then stich together.
>
> I'll try to describe the brake down: one spline defines the outer seam of
> the trousers, at the lower end connected to a half circle spline for the
> "foot hole". The top of de seam sline is connected to a quarter circle
> that is the belt section of the trousers. Last spline would be the inner
> seam. These four splines define a surface that form a quarter of the
> trousers.
>
> ingo

ingo, thanks for thinking this through with me.  First of all upon looking at
your google code site (but not yet d/ling any files) I'm wondering which include
or routine it would be. I want to animate the splines, then generate meshes
inside povray.  And as you describe it, how is the transition from material that
is, say, the seat of pants, to to the upper leg?

I've got a macro where I modified Mike's code to take any arbitrary sectioning
shape-- superellipsoid, cube, squashed cylinder-- instead of a circle, as it
creates the mesh along the backbone. With it, I've made a mesh2 shape that
vaguely represents top of head to bottom of torso, it's just a "two hole"
structure.  I'm now thinking about the transition around the seat to sleeves.